Why South Dakota?
With unspoiled natural beauty, a vibrant cultural scene, a strong economy and growing career opportunities, South Dakota offers more than just a great view of Mount Rushmore. In fact, there are a lot of reasons why relocating to South Dakota is a smart move.
We're Open for Opportunity
More and more people are choosing South Dakota for our open approach to growth. We’re here to help individuals and businesses succeed with low taxes, job opportunities and programs, an emphasis on education and less red tape or restrictions. Balance your professional success with personal fulfillment, and keep reading for reasons you should consider relocating.
best state in America to get a job
least stressed state in the U.S.
best state for highest overall wellbeing
Named the #9 state for landing your dream job (CNBC 2019) and the 6th best state to get a job (Zippia), skilled and talented professionals are in demand in South Dakota. A large variety of exciting high-demand and high-wage occupations exist, including:
- Specialty Trades
- Nurses and Healthcare
Browse all occupation projections, check out our Hot Careers and see the opportunities waiting for you in The Rushmore State. Then calculate how your paycheck stacks up in South Dakota versus other states with the Real Wage Calculator and 2018 Wage Study.
Positions that Pay
With no personal income tax, personal property tax or inheritance tax, working in South Dakota means more money in your pocket. In 2019, South Dakota’s per capita personal income was $53,925, which was 95 percent of the national average, $56,663. (U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis).
In addition to a favorable tax structure for personal income growth, South Dakota also offers many Hot Career opportunities. Learn more about these high demand/high wage occupations, including projected employment outlook and current wages, and view current job openings.
See how much further your paycheck can go in South Dakota with our real wage calculator.
Freedom to Grow
South Dakota’s economy is driven by agriculture, tourism, financial services and manufacturing, along with growing opportunities in professional, biotech and technical services. The state’s economic snapshot shows why more businesses and people are choosing South Dakota as their next stepping stone for success.
If you’re looking to be your own boss, South Dakota is a great place to start. Our environment for small, medium and large businesses fosters growth and innovation with a thriving economic climate and low (or no) taxes.
- #1 best state for starting a business (CNN Money)
- #1 business climate in the nation for entrepreneurs (Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council)
- #2 best business tax climate (Business Insider 2018)
- #5 best small metro for business and careers (Forbes 2014)
- No corporate income tax or business inventory tax
High Quality of Life. Low Cost of Living.
South Dakota boasts a lower cost of living than the national average when it comes to health, housing, utilities and transportation. With all of these savings, South Dakota residents gain a lot:
- #1 city for young professionals: Sioux Falls, South Dakota (Money Talks News 2021)
- #2 best state for overall well-being and happiness (MagnifyMoney 2018)
- #4 best state to retire in (CNBC)
- #2 state for quality of life (US News)
- Affordable housing and premium healthcare with low traffic, congestion and crime
- Unique dining, shopping, live music, sporting events and entertainment
- A thriving education system of public and private schools, colleges and universities
- An outdoor lover’s paradise with natural beauty and iconic attractions including Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Badlands National Park, the Black Hills, the Missouri River, abundant state parks, lakes trails and more
- Some of the nation’s best hunting and fishing
- A state philosophy that focuses on friendly people, family and personal fulfillment
- #1 shortest commute times (CNBC)
- #3 least stressed state in the U.S. (WalletHub)
- #9 best state for overall wellbeing (Gallup)
We Make Moving Easy.
Relocating and applying for a new job can be stressful, but Dakota Roots makes it easy. Our job advisors give you a shoulder to lean on, getting to know your career goals to help you find the perfect position. Start your job search today, or join Dakota Roots for ongoing help with your move.