Why South Dakota?
With unspoiled natural beauty, a vibrant cultural environment, business-friendly economy and growing career opportunities, South Dakota offers more than just a great view of Mount Rushmore. In fact, there are a lot of reasons why relocating to South Dakota is a smart move.
More and more people are choosing The Rushmore State for a lifestyle that balances professional success with personal fulfillment. Get the facts about South Dakota and see for yourself.
Voted the #4 best job market in the country (WalletHub.com 2014), skilled and talented professionals are in demand in South Dakota. A large variety of exciting high-demand and high-wage occupations exist, including:
- Information Technology
- Specialty Trades
Browse all occupation projections, check out our targeted occupations and see the career opportunities waiting for you in The Rushmore State. Then calculate how your paycheck stacks up in South Dakota versus other states with the wage study application and the real wage calculator.
Positions that Pay.
With no personal income tax, personal property tax or inheritance tax, working in South Dakota means more money in your pocket. In fact, South Dakota had the 6th highest per capita personal income growth in the nation from 2003 to 2013 (U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis).
In addition to a favorable tax structure for personal income growth, South Dakota also offers competitive wages. Check out these average salaries for all occupations by required level of education:
- Associate Degree: $60,999
- Bachelor’s Degree: $60,310
- Master’s Degree: $64,814
- Doctoral or professional degree: $103,626
A Growing Economy.
South Dakota’s economy is driven by the agriculture, tourism, financial services and manufacturing industries, along with growing opportunities in the professional, biotech and technical services sectors. The state’s economic snapshot shows why more businesses and people are choosing South Dakota as their next stepping stone for success.
Booming Environment for Businesses.
If you’re looking to be your own boss, South Dakota is a great place to start. Our environment for small, medium and large businesses fosters growth and innovation with a thriving economic climate and low (or no) taxes.
High Quality of Life. Low Cost of Living.
South Dakota boasts a lower cost of living than the national average when it comes to health, housing, utilities and transportation. With all of these savings, South Dakota residents gain a lot:
- #3 best state for overall well-being and happiness (Gallup-Healthways Well-being Index 2015)
- Affordable housing and premium healthcare with low traffic, congestion and crime
- Unique dining, shopping, live music, sporting events and entertainment
- A thriving education system of public and private schools, colleges and universities
- An outdoor lover’s paradise with natural beauty and iconic attractions including Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Badlands National Park, the Black Hills, the Missouri River, abundant state parks, lakes trails and more
- Some of the nation’s best hunting and fishing
- A state philosophy that focuses on friendly people, family and personal fulfillment